Sunday, April 12, 2015

Apocalypse in the World Wars

Finishing up on my Literature Review, I was able to use a scholarly source that I discovered to help strengthen my stance. This source is a book titled "World War 2: A Short History," discussing the course of World War II and its effects. This book goes in depth with the course of the war, including who was involved, the major impacts and turning points, and how the war ended as well. It also discusses the reactions of the world as the Second World War ceased. I felt that this source was useful to include in my review because it provides a real life example of an "end of the world" scare, in other words the fear of an apocalypse. Because of this, I used the article as an example and evidence for apocalyptic fiction and how it relates to society in America.

 Providing a realistic example provides increased its support for my claim, which allows my stance on my claim to be that much easier to express to my audience. It will also allow my audience to better understand my point of view while providing them the ability to visualize the circumstance. Giving them the opportunity to have a mental glimpse of the situation will greatly contribute to my stance; therefore my audience will have a greater chance in relating to my point of view. It will also provide them with a better understanding of apocalyptic fiction and to compare both the American society and post-apocalyptic fiction. Along with apocalyptic fiction, they would be able to visualize post-apocalyptic fiction as well. As the article states, when the threat of nuclear warfare occurred near the end of WWII, fear struck inside of the hearts of countries around the world. Phrased differently, the thought of the world ending reared the heads of millions. In other words, peopled visualized a post-apocalyptic world if nuclear warfare erupted.

Michel, Henri, 1907-1986. World War 2: A Short History. Farnborough: Saxon House, 1973.

No comments:

Post a Comment