Sunday, February 15, 2015

Diverse Endings

Continuing from my last blog, the movie "I Am Legend," proves an ideal source to use for my research paper. With the movie having an apocalyptic action/suspense movie, "I Am Legend" contributes to my topic because it was such a popular movie during its time. This fact reinforces my stance on apocalyptic fiction's effect on the American society.

Along with this, "I Am Legend" has many different meanings within the movie and, in my opinion, the ending of the movie has the most important meeting in the end. Outside of the original movie, it also has an alternate ending that is commonly known as well. In the original ending, Neville sacrifices himself in his lab in order to allow several survivors to leave freely from the zombie attack.




 In this ending, Dr. Neville discovers the reason of the massive zombie attack inside his lab. Because of this, he is able to hit a nerve with the zombies and win over their trust of him helping them. Ultimately, he saved his own life, the cure, and the lives of the other thousands of survivors. I believe both of these endings were an exact reflection of the its audience's desires. The popularity of this movie was apparent--selling $77.4 million on its weekend opener, therefore making a different, happier ending would boost it's worth much more. This shows apocalypticism's effects in the American society, whether it is moral, financial, or simply for entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment