Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Group Session Benefits Apocalyptic Theme

This week, we worked in groups to complete a small, 2-3 paragraph research essay regarding the impact of Disney Princesses. Doing this we were required to find both primary and secondary sources for our essay. The primary sources could be any type of source, the secondary sources had to be scholarly sources that reinforced the primary source. I believe that doing this helped me understand both how to use sources in essays, as well as how to correctly cite sources throughout the text. Prior to this, I found 3 scholarly sources about my resource topic of both the apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic theme's effect in American society.

 One source in particular that I found interesting was a journal article about the recent action movie World War Z. In this article, titled "World War Z" the writer, Thomas R. Feller, goes in depth with the concept of the creation of the movie. This concept benefits my topic because I can use this source in many different ways to support my argument of apocalyptic fiction's effect on American society. For example, Feller discusses how the use of zombies in this movie represents more than just heart-pounding excitement. He describes zombies as a symbol for many things such as: overpopulation, consumerism, class struggles, or any global pandemic. This fact gives this source much versatility in which I can use in multiple ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment